Hiring the person with experience, was a FAIL.
My digital marketing agency is a small size company with just under 15 employees. We felt our human resources methods of screening and evaluating talent were solid, but on Tuesday, February 25, 2020, it was the first time in four years that we hired the wrong person, and therefore had to let this person go.
It’s been a few days now and after some time of self-reflecting, I realized where we went wrong.
Our current human resources methods of screening and evaluating talent works well for screening fresh graduates only; however, we will need to have a new set of screening and evaluation criteria to qualify experienced people before inviting them to join our company.
My aim is to not hire the wrong people.
FAIL is First Attempt In Learning.Errol Gerson
To not hire the wrong people for the rest of the year, my company and I will need to screen and evaluate better by asking better questions during the interview to figure out if the person is the right fit for the company.
Therefore, the questions I plan to ask myself before inviting anyone to join the crew is as follows:
- Do they have a sound foundation that can add immediate value?
- How well do they communicate their logic and reason, their appearance, and their attitude?
- Are they an open-minded, self-learner, service-minded and accountable type of individual?
- Can they get along with the crew on deck?
- Will they be able to assimilate into our culture?
- Are they willing to FAIL, own it and move forward?
- Are they a jumper? F*cking hate jumpers. Jumpers are people who jump a few times a year for a higher salary.
- Does this person have a sparkle in their eye? My manager says he looks for talent with a sparkle in their eyes.
In conclusion, choosing the wrong people is such a waste of time and money. Now, I plan to take it more seriously moving forward. I understand now why people hire HR managers.
Sharing is caring. I would love to hear how you screen and evaluate people. Please comment below.
Thank you for reading!